Acting is a competitive field, and it can be hard to get your foot in the door.
But with the right preparation and practice, you can improve your chances of getting an audition and booking the role.
Here are some tips for how to become an actor:
1. Choose the right agent.
2. Research agents and agencies.
3. Write a professional email that shows your passion for acting.
4. Send your headshot and résumé to agents who represent actors similar to you in age, ethnicity, or physique.
5. Be patient — it could take weeks or months for an agent to respond to your submission packet and schedule an audition time for you.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Research the Profession
The first step to becoming an actor is to research the profession.
Actors have many different roles in the entertainment industry and not all of them are on stage or screen. Some actors work behind-the-scenes as producers, directors and writers. Others find work in front of the camera as television hosts, newscasters and commercial spokespeople.
The only way you’ll know which role is right for you is by learning about all aspects of this profession.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Take Acting Classes
Once you’ve decided that acting is for you, it’s time to consider classes or workshops that will help you hone your skills and prepare you for auditions.
Acting classes will teach you how to read scripts and memorize lines; they will also give you insight into costuming, makeup and stage direction. Many actors take their training one step further by studying at prestigious universities like Juilliard and Yale; however, most universities offer basic courses in acting that can help prepare students for their future careers.
Marketing mentorship for actors can give you the tools you need to promote yourself and your brand, so you can take control of your career and book more jobs. A good marketing coach will teach you how to leverage social media, network effectively, and create a strong personal brand.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Build Your Resume
Learn about the various types of acting jobs available and decide which one is right for you.
Are you interested in being a commercial actor or do you want to get into television or film? If so, focus on building up your resume for those types of projects.
If your passion is theater, then go for stage productions rather than commercials or movies.
Our acting resume templates are specifically designed to showcase your talents and highlight your experiences in the industry. With a polished and professional resume, you can stand out to casting directors and increase your chances of landing your next big role.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Create a Reel
The next step on the journey to becoming an actor is creating a reel.
A reel is a collection of clips from your favorite movies and TV shows that show off the best of your acting abilities. If you’re not sure how to put one together, there are plenty of resources online that will help guide you through the process.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Get an Agent
Once you have a reel ready to go, it’s time for step two: getting an agent!
An agent is someone who represents actors and helps them find work in Hollywood. They work for commission on everything their clients earn but may charge management fees as well if they’re managing other aspects of their careers like finances or public relations matters.
To get started with this process, start by contacting local talent agencies in your area and asking if they accept new clients without agents (called “open submissions”).
This allows you to meet people face-to-face while they decide whether they think they can sell your talent in Hollywood or not.
As you progress in your career, you're going to need Representation and what better way to obtain it than by following a proven system that works in landing you the best agents, managers, publishers and more! This online program will help you get closer to your goals in being a working professional Hollywood Actor.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Prepare for Auditions and Callbacks
When you’re trying to get an acting job, there are a lot of steps to follow.
You need to prepare for auditions and callbacks and then follow up with the casting directors after you’ve been turned down.
Here are some tips on how to prepare for acting auditions and callbacks:
- Rehearse the material beforehand. This will help you feel more comfortable in front of the camera, and it will demonstrate how committed you are to the role.
- Make sure that you have an understanding of what the character wants and why he or she wants it, even if those reasons are unclear at first glance.
- Be prepared for any questions that may be asked by the casting director or director. You should always have an answer ready in case they ask about your experience or previous roles.
- Be yourself! Your personality should shine through as much as possible so that they can see what type of person you are underneath all of your acting skills.
- Research the role, the character’s background, and the script. You have to know who you’re playing before walking into an audition room.
- Make sure that your headshot is up to date and that it reflects your current look, especially if you’ve changed your hair color, cut or style since it was taken.
- Make sure that your resume matches up with any other paperwork that might be needed for an audition — such as headshots or resumes — so that all of this information matches up perfectly.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early for every appointment or casting call so that you can register, fill out paperwork and meet with someone from the agency or production company in charge of hiring actors for this project before taking off time from work or school.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Develop Your Personal Brand
Building a brand for yourself is essential when it comes to becoming an actor.
You need to think about yourself as a product and take steps to make sure that your personal brand stands out from the competition.
Here are some tips on how you can develop your brand:
- Start with a website: A website is a perfect way for you to showcase your skills as an actor and also promote yourself online. Make sure that you have high-quality photos, videos, and other materials that demonstrate what you bring to the table.
- Leverage social media: Social media is one of the most powerful tools when it comes to building your brand, so make sure that you use it well! Post regularly, engage with followers, join groups related to the industry, and make sure that you’re staying up-to-date with all the latest trends in acting.
- Connect with influencers: Influencers play an important role in helping actors break into their industries, so make sure that you’re connecting with them! Follow them on social media and reach out for advice or opportunities whenever possible – this could be a great way for you to get noticed by casting directors.
Designed to help you catapult your career to new heights without compromising your art, all while building a profitable and purposeful acting empire.
Steps on Becoming an Actor – Maintain Your Career as an Actor
Maintaining your career as an actor is a matter of keeping yourself in a learning and growth mode.
The more you learn and apply that knowledge you will see drastic changes in your acting career from year to year.
Here at Dezperate Actor we pride ourselves in giving you the most up-to-date information and while we don’t directly teach actors how to act, we do teach actors how to become better in the acting game and market themselves to success.
This is the special Bundle of our Flagship Programs in one for a discount! Don't miss your opportunity to get the mentorship and online guidance you need to become an actor today. Includes Dezperate Actor - Cracking the Hollywood Code + Dezperate Actor 2.8 - Representation on Demand
We highly encourage you to take our Dezperate Actor Online Programs as they will help you serve as a guide and pathway to get your career up and running and moving in this acting industry. There are many opportunities every day for actors like you to become successful in this industry and there’s always a casting director or potential representation looking for someone just like you!
Make sure to become prepared for the opportunities that are waiting to knock on your door.
Before you go…
Knowing the steps on becoming an actor is just one piece of the major puzzle! Here at Dezperate Actor we pride ourselves on showing you the proper steps to break into the acting industry. Our next article will help you uncover even more secrets of this career.
Steve DezI am the founder of Dezperate Actor® and I have been in the acting and entertainment industry since 2011. Since then, my mission is to make acting and breaking into Hollywood easy for everyone. And each year, I continue to help more people with acting tips, resources, coaching and online courses.
Why is it important for Actors to Warm Up ?
As an actor, it's important to warm up before auditions, rehearsals, and performances in order to prepare your body and mind for work.
How Much Do Animal Actors Get Paid? Uncovering The Surprising Reality
Discover the fascinating truth behind how much animal actors get paid. From big budget films to small television shows, learn what kind of money these furry stars make and more!